We all like to do our part when it comes to preserving and protecting the environment, so using one of many custom reusable wine bags seems like a no brainer. But with all the choices out there, there are times when one must wonder: is it really that important to have reusable wine bags to carry my wine?
It seems like more and more supermarkets have actually discounted plastic bags and have switched to paper bags only, plus have set up discount incentives for customers so that they can bring their own custom reusable wine bags. That’s because they’ve finally discovered how inconvenient plastic bags are and how they’re rarely even recycled. Plus, they’re made from petroleum oil and are dangerously harmful to our environment.
If you’ve finally decided to make the switch to reusable wine bags, then you deserve a standing ovation for being environmentally aware; go on, applaud yourself! However, if you’re still using plastic bags, then shame on you! How about you read some facts, may be they’ll be able to shed some light on how harmful plastic bags are, oh by the way paper bags are just as bad as plastic bags:
- Plastic bags can take anywhere from 20 to 1000 years to decompose.
- Only 1% of all plastic bags are actually recycled. The rest of them end up in oceans, landfills, and various other places in our surroundings. There’s actually a giant heap of garbage that’s floating in the ocean and it’s actually twice the size of the United States.
- It has been estimated that over 1 million birds, thousands of turtles and other sea creature die each year by ingesting small particles of plastic bags.
- More than 10% of washed up debris that has been polluting the US coastline is actually made up of plastic bags.
- It takes about 12 million barrels of oil to product an estimated 100 billion plastic bags each year.
- The petroleum use to produce at least 14 bags can actually drive a car one mile.
Scary thought isn’t it? But, if you’re still sketchy about moving towards reusable wine bags, that’s where custom reusable wine bags come in. You have the option of styling them anyway you please.
Picking a Style
You will find that reusable wine bags actually come in all shapes and sizes, so you have the option to let you imagination run free. A suggestion would be to get a bag that has a flat bottom; that way no matter what they can always stand for themselves. Plus they’ll be easier to pack and the long handles will make things so much more convenient.
Choosing the Material
If you’re finally thinking about using reusable wine bags, think about creating your custom bag with durable material; that way that bag will last for years. Think about hand-knit bags, although they might not look pretty, but they have the least amount of environmental impact because little to no energy is consumed when creating them.
The Bottom Line
Think savings think economical, think custom reusable wine bags; you’re not just saving yourself, you’re saving the environment.